Ðàçãîâîðû îá Àìåðèêå -> English Zone
::  
Masha
Æèòåëü ôîðóìà

: 18.01.2004
: 464
: Izhevsk, Russia

: , 23, 2004 10:35am     :

I didn't understand. Are we discussing here anything except mistakes?
Let's talk about something more interesting. Maybe about some embarassing cases? Ñòûäíî
White Owl
Øòàòíûé çàíóäà

: 10.03.2003
: 2452
: USA, New York City

: , 23, 2004 1:17pm     :

Masha ():
I didn't understand. Are we discussing here anything except mistakes?
Let's talk about something more interesting. Maybe about some embarassing cases? Ñòûäíî

like what?
    e-mail MSN Messenger
Masha
Æèòåëü ôîðóìà

: , 23, 2004 4:00pm     :

White Owl ():
like what?

Ok, I'll try to start.. Once I said "fuck" when we had English classes with Canadian. I am used to say this word when I communicate with my Russian friends and I didn't want to give any offences to that Canadian teacher Çëîé
Some weeks later when we had classes with American professor we discussed problems with alcohol drinking, smoking and drugs I started to tell about drug dealers at my faculty. My Russian teacher of English was ready to kill me, because I shocked that professor Øîêèðîâàí
White Owl
Øòàòíûé çàíóäà

: , 23, 2004 4:24pm     :

Well, the only "embarassing case" I can remember is:
Once upon a time... in my English class here, we talk about "can not" or "can't". There were students from Russia and Romania in the class and we found that most of students pronounce "can't" as [êàíò]. And teacher was blushing constantly Óëûáêà So we make here a promise: 'Always pronounce "can not" Óëûáêà

BTW, In Kill Bill 2 that dirty word is pronounced very clearly Óëûáêà
    e-mail MSN Messenger
Guessst
red attention

: 08.03.2003
: 220
: USA

: , 24, 2004 4:56am     :

I did not quite get it, what's wrong with "can't"?

I once spelled Mao Zedong's name as Mao Tse Dung. My prof. had a good laugh but never told me to correct the spelling. I realized what "dung" ment when I saw a picture in SF Art Museum with the title of "Elephant's Dung."
Guessst
red attention

: , 24, 2004 5:08am     :

Oh, I've got another one. When I happen to talk fast my pronunciation suffers significantly and typically sounds like [o] tend to be more like [a]. Once I was talking to a group of people here in the U.S. about how we should focus on something.... But in stead of saying "focus" [ôîóêýñ] I said fucus [ôàêàñ]. I believe I do not have to name the analogy and everyone is familiar with this notorious four-letter word. Since then some of the people who happened to hear this slip of the tongue laugh at me: "Name, go and fucus yourself" or "you should really fucus on the assignment."

I think that's it so far.
Andrew
Ãëàâíûé òðåïà÷

: 01.03.2003
: 10421
: Èðêóòñê, RU -> Los Angeles, US

: , 24, 2004 6:53am     :

Guys, say “Both of them” fast Óëûáêà I always say “Both oth them” or “Both of vem” Óëûáêà

I hope you understand what I mean Ñìåõ

: 18.04.2004
: 12

: , 24, 2004 10:52am     :

Andrew ():
Guys, say “Both of them” fast Óëûáêà I always say “Both oth them” or “Both of vem” Óëûáêà

I hope you understand what I mean Ñìåõ

'Course, just cut out first letter of the word, for example, "Get him" -> "Get 'im" and you will pronounce this phrase more quickly.
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime. Yo!
Andrew
Ãëàâíûé òðåïà÷

: , 24, 2004 2:31pm     :

Darien Fawkes ():
'Course, just cut out first letter of the word, for example, "Get him" -> "Get 'im" and you will pronounce this phrase more quickly.

You’re right! Óëûáêà

: , 24, 2004 5:47pm     :

And I always muddle upwords "advertisment" and "entertainment". I guess, people think thet I'm crazy when I say: "I love advertisment"
White Owl
Øòàòíûé çàíóäà

: , 25, 2004 10:54pm     :

Guessst ():
I did not quite get it, what's wrong with "can't"?

I once spelled Mao Zedong's name as Mao Tse Dung. My prof. had a good laugh but never told me to correct the spelling. I realized what "dung" ment when I saw a picture in SF Art Museum with the title of "Elephant's Dung."

hmmm.... Ok.... "cunt" is very dirty word, meaning - vagina. And what is the dung? Óëûáêà I didn't find it in any vocabulary...
    e-mail MSN Messenger
Guessst
red attention

: , 26, 2004 7:21am     :

Dung - crap, manure, sh*t.
L-vira
Ãðàæäàíî÷êà ìèðà

: 05.09.2003
: 909
: Kazan, Ru

: , 4, 2004 2:58pm     :

Once I asked my teacher to give me Sh*ts of paper instead of sheets Øèðîêàÿ óëûáêà

And then I was in a second form, I created a poem about a squirrel :
I'm very quick and very gay,
I don't like night and like a day Óëûáêà

She didn't explain the meaning of the word gay to me, but the new poem soundod like this:

I'm very quick and very light,
I like a day and don't like night Óëûáêà

: , 4, 2004 3:19pm     :

L-vira ():
Once I asked my teacher to give me Sh*ts of paper instead of sheets Øèðîêàÿ óëûáêà

Øèðîêàÿ óëûáêà

: 05.03.2003
: 97
: Ðèãà - Ìîñêâà

: , 7, 2004 12:22pm     :

Once a friend of mine was talking to his boss - in Russian.
both are very good in English and use it quite often.

They were discussing some issues and when the boss suggested a new way of doing some things and asked my friend what he thought about it, he (the latter, i.e. my friend) answered: " à who åãî knows".

The boss was dumb for a few minutes...
Andrew
Ãëàâíûé òðåïà÷

: , 13, 2004 7:28am     :

Olga ():
à who åãî knows

Ñìåõ

: 05.09.2003
: 909
: Kazan, Ru

: , 13, 2004 8:55pm     :

Now new people would think, that most part of Andrews posts contains just smiles Óëûáêà (smiliks Óëûáêà)

: , 14, 2004 4:06am     :

L-vira ():
Now new people would think, that most part of Andrews posts contains just smiles Óëûáêà (smiliks Óëûáêà)

Óëûáêà

Just I’m often having these emotions Óëûáêà

: , 14, 2004 2:02pm     :

Andrew ():
L-vira ():

Óëûáêà

Just I’m often having these emotions Óëûáêà

You should never begin sentence with 'just'. Put it at the end of sentence or preceede with something. For example 'It just ....'
Second mistake: wrong tense Óëûáêà The word 'often' should be used with simple tense only and should be placed at end of sentence. So, your sentence should be like this:

It just, I have these emotions often Óëûáêà
    e-mail MSN Messenger
Andrew
Ãëàâíûé òðåïà÷

: , 14, 2004 3:30pm     :

White Owl ():
You should never begin sentence with 'just'. Put it at the end of sentence or preceede with something. For example 'It just ....'

Thanks. It just, I heard from Americans than they said "Just" as a first word in sentence. I'm sure.

White Owl ():
Second mistake: wrong tense Óëûáêà The word 'often' should be used with simple tense only and should be placed at end of sentence. So, your sentence should be like this:

It just, I have these emotions often Óëûáêà

What about "Always"?
1, 2  .
1 2